Photoshop is an essential application in graphic design industry. Without this tool graphic designers can’t think of a day. Most of us have used this app for editing images. While editing images sometimes we may find it necessary to find the center of a picture in Photoshop. If you are new in Photoshop you might find this hard to do. So today I will talk about how to find the center of a picture in Photoshop. To follow this guideline you must have Photoshop installed in your PC.
Step by Step Guide on How to Find the Center of a Picture in Photoshop
I hope you are familiar with Photoshop interface. So open the application in your PC. To locate the center of an image or picture or a Photoshop document, first you will have to turn on Rulers and Snap to Guides. If they are already turned on, move on to next step.
- Open your Photoshop document or image by clicking on File > Open. Or you may create a new by clicking on File > New. Keyboard shortcut for these two commands are CTRL+N and CTRL+O.
- If you haven’t turned on Rulers yet, go to View on menu bar and click on Rulers to enable them. Use shortcut CTRL+R to do that.
- Again go back to View and click on Snap To and then Guides to turn on Guides.
- Now as you have turned on Rulers and Guides go to menu bar and click on Select and then All. You may also use CTRL+A shortcut in Windows and Command+A in Mac to do that.
- Click on Edit from menu bar and then on Free Transform. It will place a target mark at center of your picture/document. Shortcut for this command is CTCRL+T(in Windows)/Command+T (in Mac). Alternative way: Sometimes the Free Transform option may not work, in that case create a new layer clicking on Layer > New> Layer on menu bar. Click ok. If your image is not selected press CTRL+A. Now select Move tool (V). You will see the target mark on your picture.
- Click and hold on horizontal ruler. Drag a guide from the ruler to the center of the target mark. Release it on the center.
- Again drag a guide from the Vertical and release it near the center of the target mark.
- Now go to Select and click on Deselect (CTRL+D). The Free Transform mode will be turned off. But the guides will stay at the center of your picture.
N.B: If you want to show/hide the guides press CTRL+Semicolon (;) buttons.
I hope this article has helped you on how to find the center of a picture or a Photoshop document. If you find this tutorial useful like it and share. Thanks!